- The scrolling narration is the full text, word for word, of a conversation I had with Dawit Kahsay as he described his travels from Eritrea to Texas.
- Beside it is a motion-activated projection of various imagery (found, filmed, and drawn) that illustrate his journey. Movement in front of the window cue another stage of his movement across ocean and land.
Pitcher and Bowl
Represent Pope Frances washing of the feet of refugees and migrants which included those from Eritrea. Some of my drawings of this act are included in the motion-activated projection.
- “and also with you 10” women carrying children; watercolor and gauche on paper, 16 x 13, 2021
- “and also with you 12 ” man carrying child; oil on panel, 12 x12, 2021
These two paintings are part of a series of refugees and immigrants carrying their children.They are paper cut-outs that are placed on separate paper or on a wood panel, the cutouts representing their extreme displacement. Dawit Kahsay now lives is 8,208 miles from his original home.
- “borderlands 2” landscape; oil on panel, 12 x12, 2020
Depiction of the areas of land and districts near a border. Dawit Kahsay spent much time traveling in the borderlands with smugglers and other people seeking sanctuary
- “and also with you #1” & “and also with you #3” Border Wall paintings; oil on panels, 22 x 9, 2020
Two paintings of both sides of American/Mexican border wall which were Dawit Kahsay last stop before he found refuge in Austin. The paintings are mirrored to describe their absurd separation on a landscape
Sticks, branches, leaves
These items were gathered at Harriman State Park as an offering and blessing of items gathered from open and public land